Grand Jury Will Review The Mysterious Death Of Jimmy “Superfly” Snuka’s Girlfriend

Snuka1(PCM) It may seem a bit odd that investigators are once again looking into the mysterious death of Nancy L. Argentino, the mistress of pro-wrestler Jimmy “Superfly” Snuka, that occurred back in 1983, but was never solved. The case was never officially closed and Lehigh County District Attorney Jim Martin recently announced that a grand jury will investigate. At the time of the initial investigation Snuka, who was in the height of his career with the WWF at the time and was married, was the only person of interest in the case, however he was never officially charged with the crime. Snuka portrayed a “good guy” persona in the WWF at the time and was best known for his incredible high-flying jumps and kicks from the top of the ropes in the ring. He was competing in matches against the likes of both Hulk Hogan and Andre The Giant. While numerous reports claimed that Argentino’s death was ruled an accident, her family always held steadfast to the idea that the details surrounding her death were incredibly suspicious and more than likely not an accident at all. Argentino’s death occurred in a motel room in  Pennsylvania and recently The Leigh Valley newspaper “The Morning Call” ran an investigation raising questions about Argentino’s death and revealing a never-before-seen autopsy report that labeled the case a homicide. An announcement was made about re-opening the case about three weeks after the article was published. District Attorney Martin was not able to say if any new evidence has emerged or if there is a person of interest, as Grand Jury proceedings are kept secret and closed to the public. During the initial investigation Snuka claimed that he returned to the hotel room after a WWF event at the Allentown Fairgrounds to find Argentino gasping for air and oozing yellow fluid from her nose and mouth. She was rushed to Lehigh Valley Hospital and died as a result of traumatic brain injuries consistent with a moving head hitting a stationary object, according to the autopsy. The autopsy also showed that Argentino suffered more than two dozen cuts and bruises, a sign of possible domestic abuse,  on her head, ear, chin, arms, hands, back, buttocks, legs and feet. Forensic pathologist Isidore Mihalakis wrote at the time that the case should be investigated as a homicide until proven otherwise. Suka told five people and the officer who first responded to the scene that he had shoved Argentino earlier that day, causing her to fall and hit her head. However he later changed his story, claiming that he was misheard by everyone and instead claimed that Argentino slipped and hit her head when they stopped along the highway to urinate. District Attorney Martin says that the Morning Call story did play some role in assisting getting the case in front of the grand jury, as he received a phone call from Argentino’s family members soon after it ran. For Argentino’s family the investigation is bittersweet, as they feel this is something that should have happened 30 years ago, but they are thankful that perhaps justice will be served this time around.